Monday, January 20, 2014

Yoga and being content

It has been about 3 months since I last took a yoga class.  I put  yoga class on hold while I helped my parents as my dad went through open heart surgery at the end of 2013.  I am so happy that tonight the next 10 week session has kicked off.  It is good go get back into yoga. 

There is something about the structure and yet the freedom of the class that is very appealing to me.  Our instructor, Kathy does such a nice job of balancing the class out.  There are all skill levels and Kathy patiently gives instructions and modifications to poses that allows everyone to be successful.  In the past, I have found that some weeks I can be content to just hold or attempt a pose but other weeks I need to push myself a bit to go a little further in the stretch or attempt that pose where I might look silly or even fall (literally) flat on my face. 
Yoga is much like life.  There are times when I am content with my life and other times when it is good for me to push a little bit or try something new and exciting.  In taking chances or pushing myself I find that I can get to a whole new level of being content. 

For those unfamiliar with yoga there is a posture called Shavasana.  It is the relaxation pose done at the end of every practice.  In our class it is 10 minutes after 50 minutes of hard work.  During Shavasana you lay on the floor on your back.  You allow the earth to hold you up so you can just let totally go of everything.  Your mind goes to a place, a place of total contentment. 

Prior to leave the room tonight Kathy shared with us a few words, prayerful words to live by. In her prayer she used the word content.  Nothing happens by accident.  That words was included in her parting words for a reason.  It was there as a reminder to me to be content in my life.  
Tonight I am contemplating where in my life I need to push myself to get to that next level of being content. Perhaps my push is to become more content with my exercise routine. Or maybe it is to remember to live my life as if I were in Shavasana.  I need to live knowing that I am supported by my faith and by my family and that it is OK to just totally let go and live in a state of being content.  Or maybe it is both.  Keep watch for updates. 



No comments:

Post a Comment